View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Recommendations have been a "thing" (not how I would put it, exactly), going back to at least the 1940s when my mother was enrolled at UC Berkeley. Probably even prior to that date. Pretty much. I knew I needed recommendations and I got them when I decided to go through rush. Actually had a couple of alumnae in my area contact me after I registered, wanting to meet me and interview me so they could write for me. Some variation of that process is ongoing today. Alumnae want to help actives select the best members for their chapters. Hence, recommendations.

If you're that interested, naraht, perhaps you can contact NPC and its member chapters to get a definitive answer. There's a wide gap between your asking about the NPC in general, and one university (Alabama) specifically. I *seem* to recall seeing a recommendation from the early 1900s (more like a formal letter of introduction) when I visited our archives, but don't quote me on that, because I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.

The benefits of a recommendation for a prospective member are numerous. I'd add to the excellent posts above: a rec permits the chapter to learn about a woman in advance of the pressure of pre-rush work week as well as during the week of rush. It speaks to her interests, which are invaluable for the chapter in matching her to actives who can converse and put her at ease. It speaks to her character and helps her to stand out in the sea of faces.

Just read your follow up post while composing this, and now you're turning in a totally different direction. Have you read Bound By A Mighty Vow? It is about the founding of women's fraternities and it will answer many of your questions.

Okay that's enough out of me.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity