Thread: High School GPA
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I did not recommend it. I simply said it was possible. There is a difference between "you can do X" and "you should do X".

Every thread about grades turns into "OMG COLLEGE IS SO SCARY YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO MAKE IT!!!" Yes, you should get your act together if you were a C student in high school. Yes, you should think twice about pledging your first semester (and orgs should think twice about pledging you!) if don't have good time management skills. But the fact of the matter is that most students who did okay in high school will also do okay in college.

A lot of lazy students will get by, too. Universities/professors/departments are under too much pressure to keep students happy, and to keep them from failing out. It's unfortunate, definitely, but it does not change the facts.
Yep. I am familiar with quite a few marginal high school students who did fine in college. I certainly wouldn't claim it's the normal trend AND I think it's important to note that the quality of your high school and the level of your college play a huge role. If your high school typically prepares kids to succeed at highly selective universities, and you go to a less selective state school (what's the way to describe public schools that are a couple of steps down from the flagships?) , it might be a little easier to do as well or better as you did in high school.

But of course, your goal shouldn't be to just break even or come out ahead of your high school GPA. Your goal should be to actually learn.

http://www.olemiss.edu/admissions/fap.html
if you want to see what Ole Miss is looking at in its freshman class and where the dude with the 2.3 and 29 is in the data. ETA: whoops. He actually said 21 ACT, which is quite different. Dude, you should just plan to study all the time, maybe not even get the meal plan because you'll just eat out of the vending machines at the library where you should be studying whenever you aren't in class or sleeping.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 07-27-2011 at 11:21 PM.