View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
I currently teach Algebra I in the same state you live, MC, and in a county not very far away. Let me know if you decide you want an algebra tutor. (;

This is very true and in the state you live, it is a result of standardized testing. There are "more creative" things that can be done with Algebra but because Algebra I is and always will be an EOC class, teachers are less likely to do more fun things. Their goal is to teach it exactly how it will look on the EOC so that the students can pass it. (As an special ed teacher teaching Algebra, my approach is a bit different, but gets the same result.)
This is certainly part of the problem, but I came along long before teaching for the test, and it was a problem then as well. Teaching for the test exacerbates the problem, I think.

And thanks for the tutoring offer. We actually have a really great tutor and who is making some good progress. She's a friend whose family he's known all his life, and she has a son a year older than ours with similar spectrum challenges, so she has a really good sense of how to approach things with him. She is seeing promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
The other point I have is that he has no idea yet what will truly interest him-- many of the topics that he may go on to love haven't yet been covered.
Exactly! We keep reminding him of this, along with the basic "you need this to get into college to study what you want to study." Your whole post was very helpful and encouraging. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
MysticCat, I think your son has to look at this at a macro versus micro level also. School is about learning about all sorts of stuff, even that which you don't have an affinity for, or like. I'd bet big money that the vast majority of us took classes in something that we despised, and thought that they were "stupid" to take.
He definitely does need to look at it this way, and we hit on this every time we talk about algebra. The challenge is that when you're talking about a 14-year-old with Asperger's, getting him to that macro-perspective is a lot easier said than done.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. There's so much that I don't think that I can respond to everything everyone has said, but I really appreciate it all!

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
For example, I HATED math with the burning passion of a thousand fiery suns . . . .
I meant to give psusue major props for this reference.

Last edited by MysticCat; 11-16-2011 at 11:42 AM.