Thread: "Frat Boys"
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2003, 11:25 PM

I thought it was pretty well done. It tackled the subjects of hazing and alcohol without allowing them to become the overriding topic of the ninety minutes.

The pledge deaths were covered without sensationalism. They could easily have been the entire storyline of the program. Obviously, they had to be mentioned -- but they didn't dwell on them.

It was interesting to me to hear some of the comments of alumni as they talked of their experiences which included what would be considered hazing today -- and probably weren't "back then." At least that relates to my experiences.

I don't think the alumni connection was overdone -- although I'm not sure it's as strong a calling card today as it was a generation or two ago.

I would have liked to have seen a little more depth in the "secret society" segment -- but, to be fair, it was a little off the main topic of the overall program.

In the end, the comments of the administrators, some of whom are obviously Greek alumni, ring important to me. That is that we need to return more to the reasons for our founding and the things taught in our Rituals. Those things are important to the survival of the system.

It's really not possible to adequately cover nearly 230 years of fraternities in America in ninety minutes -- but I was pleased, overall, with the tone and outcome of the broadcast.

Edited to add:

On reflection, I would have liked to have seen them cover two chapters perhaps -- one being what would probably be considered a more "normal" chapter on a campus in another section of the country. Perhaps one of 40 to 60 members on a campus where the system isn't as strong. That might have been a nice ballance.

Finally (although I'm sure I'll think of more), I'm very appreciative that 60 of the 90 minutes weren't spent on parties, drinking, drugs and sex.

I guess that's the difference between a real documentary and "reality TV." Don't suppose anyone from MTV was watching.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 09-01-2003 at 11:31 PM.