View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austingammaphi View Post
My understanding was that it was partially in response to a nationwide increase in hazing incidents. I think there was also an argument for maximizing the full member time so that everyone would have full membership status and privileges for a (slightly) greater chunk of their collegiate experience. .

Chi Omega is the only NPC sorority I know of that refused to follow this trend. They still wait until the semester after the new member period so that they can check grades.
We had a full semester of being a pledge, and I applaud Chi Omega for keeping our traditional pledge period. Yes, we weren't initiated until after our semester grades were posted, but we also had many opportunities to get to know our pledge sisters outside of our weekly pledge meetings. Our pledge meetings were 99% focused on our history and traditions with a bare minimum spent on housekeeping. We were also required to individually interview our active members, but I don't remember that being cumbersome at all. Our executive officers also met with us to to explain to us the roles they had. One very helpful meeting was with our Personnel chair to learn the process to resolve conflicts with each other discreetly and without gossip to other members.

We had a weekend pledge retreat, a formal pledge presentation ball, and a party given by the pledges for the actives.

We weren't "New Members" as we weren't members as yet!

Chi Omega