View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
As I think about this, what I'm primarily reading is a concern that No Recs will not be possible if anybody can write a rec. Concerns that bad apples will get through? Is that an accurate assessment? Wouldn't that kind of communication still be possible? How often do chapters get those? If they got conflicting recs from different alumnae, was there a process to deal with that? What if there were 4 glowing and 1 "no way"? I honestly don't know how those situations were handled or how often they happened because the schools I worked with most closely rarely ever saw a rec, except for legacies, most of the time. I never in my 30 years of volunteering saw a No Rec come in.
This raises another question in my mind.

If some sororities require rec letters for everyone (and I've written in the past how my chapter pencil-whipped them), but other sororities didn't, is there any evidence at all that the one which requires recs is in any way stronger or better or more "anything" than one that doesn't? Do we have any data at all? Sure, membership selection may consider (and I neither know nor care about someone's processes) the information on it against some set of measures, but certainly the hundreds of recs some places process makes this a cursory standard at best.

In my opinion, the only valuable rec is a "no" rec.