View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's the deal, according to me:

NPC sororities were founded on scholarship principles. It was brutal to be a woman back in the 19th century, entering higher education, which was a man's world. Our predecessors were not treated well at all. You can read about it in history books; the struggles were real.

We take great pride in that fact. Further, we continue to value scholarship. Hence, there is competition for GPA each semester in the active chapters, and use of GPA as a membership selection criterion. That doesn't mean just great grades. It's the whole package: a lifelong interest in learning, a keen mind, intellectual curiosity, and willingness to impart and receive knowledge, just for starters. Attempting to reduce this to one major being more difficult and hence earning a "pass" or "wiggle room" isn't going to cut it. One of my sorority sisters is a renowned diplomat with a distinguished career in foreign service. No way I could do what she has done. Do I think her major was any less demanding than that of mine (which was heavily loaded on science classes)? Hell, no! It prepared her for success. Frankly, if we traded places, I'd probably have made a mess of things internationally and she likely would have failed at what I've done. And I was pretty successful (and happy).

I tease AZ-Alpha Xi because she is a "real scientist" (based on her major and her profession) and I am merely a "faux scientist" (that came from a long-ago GC thread, lost in the mists of time). She laughs at me and knows it is good-natured teasing. My point: I think what she does is very difficult, and she thinks the same of me. We each ended up in a field of study that suits our learning styles, talents, and abilities. Sororities brought out the best in us, academically.

tl/dr: you are barking up the wrong tree. And l like what my panhellenic sisters have written, and would love to see this thread stickied.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity