View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Update

Response to my letter -
Dear Ms. Barr:

Thank you for your email dated November 30, 2017, in response to the recent suspension of all fraternity and sorority chapter activities at Texas State University. I recognize the decision has affected many people in our university community.

I am grateful for your thoughts on this difficult issue. We understand and appreciate the true impact of Greek chapters in our community, and our goal is to preserve the value of these organizations and create a safe environment for students.

Student safety remains my top priority. We are conducting a comprehensive review of Greek life governance and it is our aim to establish a safer, more responsible culture within the Greek community.

This spring, Dr. Joanne Smith, Vice President for Student Affairs, plans to relay a timeline for next steps and relevant information about what the comprehensive review will entail. If you have additional questions, you may contact Dr. Smith directly at 512-245-2152 or via email at js14@txstate.edu.

Thank you, again, for your email.

Sincerely,

Denise M. Trauth

And my letter to Dr. Smith
Dr. Smith,

As per President Trauth's email which was copied to you, I am asking for the timeline for the review process. It would of course be terribly irresponsible to suspend operations on all Greek letter organizations without a plan in place, so I look forward to hearing the administration's timeline.

In the meantime, I appreciate having a topic for my newspaper column in The Paris Post-Intelligencer, and will be asking my fellow Greeks to withhold any and all support for the school until this travesty is rectified. There is not a Greek problem; there is an alcohol problem, and while the GLOs provide a convenient scapegoat, the fact of the matter is that it was a problem when my parents attended college there, when I did in the 80s, and when my daughter did in 2008 - 2012. If student safety is truly your concern, that should be the focus.

Given my family's history with the school, I want nothing more than what is best for our reputation and standing in the academic community. I see the unilateral action against all Greek organizations, whether guilty of any infraction or not, as denying students due process and unfairly penalizing the innocent for the actions of a few. I expect better from my alma mater.