Thread: Badge Trends?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post

Ah, visual cues. Thanks AzTheta!

In my chapter everyone ordered a badge, and we each selected the style that we wanted. Most went with the standard badge and plain guard, but there were a few that went with pearls. While we paid for the badges separately from any sort of initiation fee, I just don't remember it being an option to not order one.

On my campus, at that time, all sorority women wore badge attire all day on Mondays, the day of our chapter meetings. That was also back when pledgeships were an entire semester, so as pledges we had 4 months of watching the older members sport their beautiful badges- in classes, around campus, etc. By the time that we were able to order ours we couldn't turn the check in fast enough. In addition, every sorority woman would wear their badge for all rounds of recruitment. To not order a badge is such a foreign thought to me.

Like I said, I ordered the plain gold badge with guard, which came with my initials and the date of initiation. I don't think that white gold was an option back then, and I must admit that I am partial to the true gold since that is one of our colors. I have since rescued 2 pearl badges from the 1920s off of eBay, and I plan to get a blinged out larger badge before convention next year. Each badge has special meaning to me, and it is sometimes difficult to decide which one to wear. Lucky for me convention is four days, so I will be able to wear one each day.