Thread: Issues
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2000, 11:18 PM
Artimis

I guess persception is everything. When i looked at the list i noticed the significant number of times suicide shows up in the top three. Its alarmingly one to many times.

Self acceptance is an issue with most of the younger generations within the U.S. Keli, you used the barbie doll as an example. Many women look in the mirror and do not like what reflects back at them - be it color, hair texture, hair color, weight, height. Our socity is teaching our children that to be considered beautiful you have to look like a barbie, a super model. Blonde, blue eyed, straight long hair (or wavy if that's the current style), and lets see the measurements of 36-26-34, oh and normally when it comes to intelligence - well "they just have to look pretty".

Self esteem is something hard fough on all fronts. As i look in the mirror i face it every day of my life. Deep down, you still have that yearing to be excepted no matter what progress you make. Unforunitly, suicide rates are a direct preportion to self worth. Many feel they've reached the end of what they can give to the world, what worth they have to offer, and that their existance means nothing.

I don't have answers, but I know its not just a problem with in one cultural group of the united states.