Thread: NPC vs NPHC
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2000, 03:28 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by equeen:
Here's a scenario, along the lines of discussion on this thread. How would you/your chapter handle this situation.

Your GLO is a local (ie. not governed by IFC, NPC, NPHC, etc. at the university or nat'l level).

Among the current pledge class, one individual suddenly depledges, with little or no explanation why. Later, it is found that (s)he has pledged a national (IFC/NPC/NPHC etc.), nearly immediately after depledging your house.

This situation troubles me for two reasons:
(a) there was a breach of honor for leaving your house, without explanation, and leaving loose ends, *and*
(b) pledging another house right after leaving the first.

If I am to understand things correctly, even as a pledge, there's a protocol to follow in the depledging process. Also, I know for NPC sororities at least (at my school, at least), if you depledge one house, you cannot pledge another one, for at least another year.

-True, unless the house/colony is disbanded. Former pledges can then pledge another NPC house immediately if they want.

It should be noted that the "new" house has no knowledge/documentation that their newest pledge has just depledged a local GLO, since the local is not connected through the university-GLO governing body.

-The "new" house should be a little more careful when picking their pledges. If they know and don't care, they obviously value numbers over character. Their problem.

I'd be curious as to everyone's response, whether you're a local or nat'l organization. And feel to take any (or all!) points of view, including that of each GLO, the member in question, etc.

I'm going to ass-ume that this situation happened to you, and here's my thought: the girl who did this is a backstabbing jerk. You probably could make a stink about it and hold her to the bid she took from you, even if you're not NPC. But do you really want someone like that to be your sister? Take it from me, you are much better off. The only thing I would have to say to her is "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."