View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

PREF

Waking up on Saturday morning, I could hardly believe it was already the last round of rush. I was very excited for bid day because every sister in every sorority I talked to had told me bid day is the best day ever. I did not know where my three best friends would be going today because we did not discuss our picks from the night before, but my roommate, Jenny, made it pretty clear that if she did not get Punta Cana, she would not be accepting a bid. (The day before she had also been to Puerto Vallarta, San Juan, and Orlando).

I put on my dress and the girls on my floor and I made our way down to our Rho Gamma groups, and the room was buzzing with excitement and nervousness. Carly handed me my schedule, and I opened it. I quickly glanced down and saw that (in order) I would be returning to Punta Cana, Nassau, and Las Vegas. What happened to Cancun? I had been so sure that Cancun was a chapter I could see myself in and even though I still loved all three houses I was invited back to, I was still hurt that Cancun for whatever reason did not want me. Still excited for the day, I walked to my first house of my last round of recruitment.

Punta Cana- It surprised me how different preference round was than the previous ones because I knew it would be more serious, but I did not know that there would be no more singing and screaming. Not surprisingly, my good friend Lindsay greeted me at the door at Punta Cana. We sat down and had a serious talk about Punta Cana and how much she loves it. She also told me because we had been good friends prior to rush, she wanted us to be honest with each other so she said that I probably already knew she really wanted me in Punta Cana and that all of her sisters had loved me throughout the week, but that she did not want me to choose it just because she was in it as she would be leaving long before me (she's a junior) and that I needed to take her out of the equation when deciding what to do. The ceremony was very nice and I loved it, and I left Punta Cana thinking that this was the sorority I definitely wanted to join.

Nassau- I had loved Nassau throughout the rush process, but I think I knew I felt a little more at home at Punta Cana and Las Vegas. The girls here were all wonderful and the sister who I talked to for pref round was one I had met and gotten along well with earlier during rush, and the ceremony was beautiful. I would not be at all disappointed if this was the house I received a bid from, but I left Nassau knowing that they would not be my first choice.

Las Vegas- Of course, my friend Emily greeted me at the door at Las Vegas. I had made up my mind I wanted to be a Punta Cana, but then Emily started talking about everything Las Vegas had done for her and I had loved Las Vegas the entire week as well. The ceremony was so nice and sweet, and Emily told me that she really hoped I would choose Las Vegas and that every sister I had met had such great things to say about me. All in all, I left Las Vegas thinking I might rank them first after all..

We had to wait awhile before we were able to make our final rankings, and during this time I kept confusing myself more and more. I had loved all three houses I visited, and I really felt at home at both Punta Cana and Las Vegas. Also, I know Lindsay had told me not to feel this way but I felt that no matter what I put first, it would appear as if I was choosing between Lindsay and Emily rather than their sororities. Morgan, my favorite Rho Gamma, saw I was distressed and came over to talk me through my decision. She told me that as much as I thought I loved both houses, I really need to take Lindsay, Emily, and every person I knew in either sorority ahead of time out of my head and think about all of the sisters I had simply met during rush. She said that a sorority is comprised of many more girls than the few I already knew in each one, and I would be much happier at a place I knew I loved even the girls I had only met for a 3 minute period during recruitment. I was probably one of the last people to do my final rankings as I was so torn and kept going back and forth, but finally, I made a decision.

1. Punta Cana
2. Las Vegas
3. Nassau

(Unless I got a phone call in the morning saying I did not receive a bid) I knew I would be happy at any of the three chapters. After the day was over, we were all so exhausted that we got food and just went to bed. None of my friends (beside my roommate, who had preffed at Punta Cana, San Juan, and Orlando, and it was already very clear how she ranked them) discussed what we had done or where we had gone, but I hoped they were all happy with their choices.

Bid day will come soon!

Last edited by icecream123; 04-14-2012 at 04:36 PM.