View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
What if the parents don't know the girl is going through rush?
What if the girl isn't on good terms with her parents?
I certainly hope providing your parents' contact info isn't a prerequisite to going through rush. This sounds extremely intrusive, not to mention infantilizing.
I agree with all of this.
It's the girl's rush, not her parents'. I have no idea how this practice came to be, but if it were ever suggested at a school where I was advising, I would do everything in my power to keep it from coming to fruition.

Begin heli-parenting and university response to heli-parenting rant...
I remember when universities considered themselves the stepping stone between being under a parent's thumb and being thrown to the wolves of the adult world. They allowed students to make mistakes and face consequences, they allowed students to find their own paths, they allowed students to decide whether to succeed or to fail. And now, in part (I think) due to the increase in heli-parenting, institutions have gotten soft. It's becoming a cycle that's hard to break. Early on in the heli-parenting years, it was relatively easy as a professor to say to a parent, "Your daughter is the one whose grade is on the line - I'd be happy to have this conversation with her. But I can't have it with you." Now, universities are too worried about not getting phone calls from irate parents to support their faculty in upholding FERPA. And now that parents are used to being overly-involved, it's only becoming more prevalent.

Let our kids grow up. Let them make their own decisions. For crying out loud, let our daughters be the first to find out which sorority has offered them membership. This just really baffles me.