View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Look... for anyone that clicked on a recent post and failed to see it was in a forum labeled ATO, then mistakenly made the assumption I was talking about them or their organization, I apologize. I meant no disrespect.

When posting in a forum labeled ATO, my natural assumption would be that's an area for conversations either between ATOs or about ATO as an organization. I can't imagine what would lead to any other conclusion. If I'm wrong about that, I'll go post a question about ATO in the TKE section and see if a Delta Chi can answer it for me.

There's nothing wrong with non-ATOs reading or posting in the ATO section. I'm always open to outside insight on our operations. I'm also curious at times, as I'm sure others are, what the trends, attitudes, and operations of other organizations look like. That doesn't mean I read their conversation as if it applies to me, nor that I interject at the slightest possibility anything they say may not paint my org as perfect. They are entitled to their opinion.

And just to clarify my opinion...

I'm an ATO alumnus. I have a certain amount of experience and reputation within my organization. But, I'm just stating my opinion.

This thread asks if ATO should expand aggressively on the west coast. I would personally say no.

I believe, most greek systems in the far west are weak. There's nothing wrong with the national organizations or people from those areas. Both thrive in other locations.

There are problems in any chapter/location/org. There are some problems we can deal with, some that are bad business, and some (based on our ritual an objectives) that are more problematic. Some of those key issues tend to occur at a higher rate in certain geographic areas. I can't tell you why. I don't know if it's cultural, support/policy trends by universities in those areas, or any number or combination of other factors. What matters is its a bad use of our resources to go into those areas when better alternatives are available.

I went to school in Texas. I used SEC as an example because its a stereotype. There are many other locations outside the south with superb greek systems that are also a good fit for us. Those are the model we want all our chapters reaching. We're going to go to places with the best potential, as we interpret it (which is probably different than others would). Right now, most of the west coast has a very low density of places that fit that model for us, in my opinion.

If you're insulted by that, I'm sorry. If you don't agree, tell me how you have valid opinion of where ATO should expand or why. If you want to have a discussion of the criteria on which I'm forming that opinion, I can do that with some limits. Other than that, I don't see what anyone's problem is.

It's insulting to all of us that I should have to be so politically correct that I cannot express a basis for my opinions without people taking it personally. We're adults here. Hopefully with some professionalism. We can endure criticism without being offended. You don't have to agree, but if you think I shouldn't be able to have the conversation then you're in the wrong country.

Sorry for the long response.