View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

They do...although of course the meaning is part of each chapter's ritual . For a little tidbit that's in public record, I know Phi I/Phi Alpha chapter chose its name at least in part because George Banta, a Phi Delta Theta, helped bring Delta Gamma to that university. But we've been going (mostly) in alphabetical order since Alpha Beta in 1912. Interestingly enough, that roughly coincides with the beginning of "professionalization" of sororities, requirements of recommendations from alumnae, and organized, nationwide alumnae coordination of fraternity business. Before that coordination had been nationwide but usually somewhat haphazard.

AOII Angel, have you read the book Bound by a Mighty Vow? It's definitely an academic, not casual read, but it has some great insights into the development of women's fraternities and what they meant to the first three generations of young women who participated in them from 1870s-1910s. It draws mostly from Kappa Alpha Theta's archives, but the insights would apply for most women's fraternities at the time.

Sorry for the threadjack! I just love history .