Thread: Advice Please!
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Renlizabeth -- I don't think anyone at GC means to imply you should pledge and initiate into a sorority you don't feel a connection to. The advice most PNM's receive here is to stick out the recruitment week (or whatever the time frame is) and not drop as long as you still have options. As AOII Angel pointed out, you don't have to accept a bid, but many of us recommend hanging in through pref parties because we've just seen too many perceptions change as rush progresses. I know you said you've spent time with sorority members outside of recruitment, but have you gotten to know all of the sisters and learned about the key aspects of their sorority? You may think you have a good feel for a chapter, only to learn something new about them or talk to a couple of sisters you've never spent much time with before and -- bam-- you begin seeing things in a different light. That's why we say to stay in the process as long as you can, giving the sororities and yourself every opportunity to see what each other is about.

All that said, I encourage you to look into the chapter that is colonizing. From what I understand, colonizing chapters are usually open to accepting upperclassmen, especially those who bring leadership experience to the table. It is also my understanding that this type of recruitment process may include interviews with representatives from the national and/or regional levels. Be prepared to tell them why you want to be part of their organization, show that you have a good picture of your campus culture and highlight your strengths and talents, especially in regards to how they can help a new chapter take root, grow and thrive. Learn all you can at the information sessions and by visiting their national website. Learn about the causes they support, their mission and goals, their history, what their mascot represents -- and get excited about who these women are and what they're about. Enthusiasm is like a magnet and even helps with shyness. I've seen many on the shy, quiet side suddenly light up when the issue at hand is one they're interested in and excited about. Don't be discouraged if you don't feel a spark right away -- you may be charged with electricity by the end of the process, but you won't know unless you stay in recruitment until its time for bids. Good luck and I hope it all works out!