View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyGreek View Post
There's an awful lot of (wrong) assumptions being made about me and my daughter on this thread. This is not the stereotypical situation with someone wishing they were in a top tier sorority. More like fish-out-of-water who actually wanted a sorority many snub their noses at.

I don't believe everyone needs to accept a system where girls are meant to feel so bad after going through rush that they feel their only option is to drop out of school. Or where only those that can afford the most expensive houses on campus should be allowed to rush. Or even where it's become common not to actually like the sorority you get a bid from. It's not like this at my alma mater or the university my alumni group is affiliated with and I don't understand why it's accepted at other universities.
How many campuses have Greek systems in the US - 1,000? More? Your daughter literally chose to attend college at one of like 5 schools where rush is legendary for being brutal (even with RFM in place) and the only school I know of that moved rush to mid-fall to reduce the number of freshman women completely withdrawing from the university after rush.

I'm still unclear as to how you and your daughter seem so shocked by the Ole Miss dynamics. Especially with you being Greek. And with her having been on campus for 6+ weeks prior to rush. Ole Miss' reputation, like Indiana's bed rush and the damn 1970's Texas Monthly article that cemented a certain group of University of Texas chapters to permanent top tier status, are well known across most of the country. Ole Miss is just not a campus you can waltz onto assuming rush is going to go your way.

I'm not defending the campus at all, though they have made several good moves to improve the experience for pnms, including variable quota and several recent colonizations.