View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Recs for international students interested in greek life?

Heyy guys,

So I've been looking through the greek life system in the US and I couldn't help but wonder how many international students take part/get selected to a sorority/frat? So apparently, you need stellar gpa and ECs and all that (but depending on the university ur attending, you probably already have all that..) BUT besides all that, they look for recommendations from greek alums...Usually, if you are an in-state student or if you have legacy or at least anyone ( a teacher, neighbor) who is a greek alum, you can get a rec from them. But whats the case for international students? How can an international student (who does not have a legacy or know a greek alum) get recs? I am aware that the Panhellenic council assists students participating in rush find alums who can write recs but I've only heard of this happenning in the US...does the council find alums for an international student too?

*And before anyone goes on to say that recs aren't important in all US universities..I'm focusing on the southern ones (UT Austin and such?)

So..wow that was a a lot to ask... It would be great if you're an international greek or an alum who could clarify this for me! Thank you xx