Thread: Mormon
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Re: Saturday used to be the Sabbath...

Quote:
Originally posted by SurfinDBeach
Little known fact shared: it was a ROMAN EMPEROR that changed the SABBATH DAY to Sunday...

The actual sabbath day, as referred to by the Ten Commandments, was ORIGINALLY SATURDAY (the 7th day in the week - referring to the 7th day of creation).

A Roman emperor changed the sabbath to the 1st day of the week for some strange reason...

So really, we shouldn't be arguing...

The actual sabbath is SATURDAY - but we have been trained by modern society to observe it on Sunday...
A DaVinci Code reader, I see. There was reverence for both Saturday (Jewish Sabbath) and, later, also Sunday (Lord's Day - day that Jesus was resurrected). Of course the very earliest Christians worshipped on Saturday because they were all Jewish by birth.

When people talk about "Christian Sabbath" they mean Sunday which is the "Lord's Day."

What you have to understand is that the early evangelists saw Jesus as a fulfillment of Mosaic law...they did not consider that he did away with the law. Jewish-Christians were still (and are still) Jewish. Therefore, they would still observe their cultural traditions and laws.

However, when Jesus came, the boundaries were broken and Gentiles were openly able to come into the covenant without having to become Jewish (by proselytizing).

The Gentiles brought new cultures into Christianity...I'd venture a guess that it was Gentiles who began observing the Lord's Day, but I can't know for sure.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.