View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_gphib View Post
We are officially adopting our Goddaughter! I'm so excited! She moved in with us, in 2016, after being kicked out of her parents home. We hadn't had much contact with them in years, but she knew that we would always be there for her. She is the oldest of 7 children and has been through hell and back. Her parents had been involved in a cult, she was raped (they blamed her!) and basically made to be a servant. They "homeschooled" and stopped teaching at the 6th grade, because girls weren't allowed to go to college and the only purpose of women is for breeding. Well since we've had her, she's gone through therapy, and we've worked on catching up on her schooling (and we've applied for a high school diploma through an umbrella school). She's also married a wonderful man, who loves her deeply and holds her through her PTSD attacks. We recently talked to her therapist who called DCF on her parents-- which has caused her parents to cut her off completely. They won't allow her contact with her siblings, and basically have told her that she is no longer their daughter. SO... we are going through the adult adoption process. A lot of people question "why, she's married?" But married people need a good, loving family too. And she's already a daughter to us. So I'm thrilled, but not looking forward to the freak out her birth parents will have when they receive the court summons. There is nothing they can do to stop it, because she's now 21. None the less, it will make them appear less than wonderful parents hurting the "image" they have created for themselves online and in certain groups. But, to quote the great Rhett Butler, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."
This is fabulous! I hope it's going well!