View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells1 View Post
Very interesting you mentioned other sororities/fraternities... as I'm considering rushing a non PanHellenic sorority on campus- it's more service oriented and I believe it would be a better fit for me.

It's been a few of months since beginning the process and we are now heading into winter break- not much has changed despite accelerated effort on my part - joining in parties/pictures/texting/ attending events, etc. It's very obvious these women are excluding as even the pictures that featured me with the group have not been included on sorority personal social media. Months of unreturned texts, plans forgotten at the last minute,on and on. Bizarre behavior for college aged women who are supposed to be embracing the concept of sisterhood.

I have come to the conclusion that it’s just not inclusive and will never be. You can’t force people to be nice. Others have mentioned the clique behaviors and while I'm open to developing relationships with sisters- I don't know that this group actually values the sisterhood concept- mentoring each other & providing the emotional support of inclusion in a sorority.

I was originally concerned it was something in me that caused their behavior, but since learning that I'm not the only one ( others have disassociated or not even initiated) I feel better about my plans. I’ve made friends not in PanHellenic and in dorms, so while there may be something about me that threatens these women it’s not a universal problem for me.

If I'm able to keep my membership in this sorority which is one of the largest in the system and still join a non PanHellenic that's what I'm going to do because I can benefit from association and can give back through philanthropy and solitary participation .

I’m going to let it go as it’s difficult to address with leadership as it can be seen as complaining or petty. They did try during the new member process after noticing the group being isolating and complaints from another ...but obviously it went over their heads. Not much you can do faced with this passive aggressive,targeted isolation. If they are at this age and this type of behavior hasn’t changed, not much hope it will in the future. Gives the sorority a bad name.

I’ve come to see this is relationship bullying and withholding their friendship and support has lessened my positive feelings and connection to the sorority and what I thought was going to be a wonderful experience.
Did you initiate into your NPC sorority?

Or are you on grade probation, working toward Spring 2016 initiation?

Either way your time, education AND your new NPC sorority should be your main concern for the next semester.

Unless you initiated an NPC just to show them you're the boss haha and cannot be bothered to participate because they made you feel left out of their cliques.