View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Take a deep breath. Hold it. Slowly release. Then, put this issue out of your mind. Deep friendships take time to develop. Be sweet. Invite just your twin to something. If she doesn’t respond, don’t take it as a personal affront. You have no idea what is going on in either of their lives.

Just give it some time. Get to know other girls in the chapter and don’t be jealous over what you think you see. If your twin and big already have a relationship that includes parents, your relationship will probably never look exactly like theirs. That’s ok. Yours will just be built on a different basis. Don’t try to force a relationship—it usually results in disappointment. Just go to class. Go to new member events. Study. Live your college life. It’s through the everyday things that relationships develop. Don’t stress about this. Many years out from graduation, I’m not particularly close to any of my “family.” However, I have two other sisters that I talk to everyday.

My daughter was in a similar boat. The hype of Big-Little week can really create unrealistic expectations. Yes, she likes her big, but they don’t do a lot together. However, right now she is getting ready for a crazy Spring Break adventure with some of her fellow sisters from her new member class. Those friendships didn’t develop overnight either.

Go to as many events as possible. Eat lunch or dinner at the house. Sit with different people each time. Sign up to volunteer for your philanthropy when there are small group options. Study at the house. It’s amazing how many people you will meet by just being present. So, relax and just enjoy the journey.