View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sta3535 View Post
1. Do you enjoy throwing/hosting parties, despite the pros & cons?

- Are they open or Greek only?

- How much do you charge guys/randoms? Guy/Girl Ratio?

- If it's an open party, do you have to name/know a certain number of brothers/sisters in order to get in?

IMO, cleaning up afterwards & kicking people out is probably the hardest stuff to deal with, outside of maintaining the overall crowd level of the party, which can be difficult to manage if it gets out of control.

2. Stereotypically, do Greek life members have a higher alcohol tolerance than those who are independent?

Now, I obviously know that this is just a stereotype, but is it kind of true that some members may be more used to alcohol due to initiations & parties?

3. Why is Greek Life, in general, viewed as cliquish to some people?

Now, another common stereotype is that Greek organizations are cliquish & that they only hang out with members of fraternities/sororities. However, I personally believe that these organizations are great for college resumes and beyond.

Final Concern:

Serious: I was rejected by a fraternity for acting "weird" at an open party that they hosted. A few girls thought that I was acting "creepy", which affected my overall bid, but I have no reelection of doing anything wrong. I just had a good time without trying to hit on anyone. Even though I may have been a little drunk, I usually remember what happened the night before. Furthermore, my party history is clean, so far, which means that they overreacted or saw something that I didn't notice at the time. I partly blame my diagnosis of mild (high functioning) autism, but I eventually got over it & moved on.

However, when I posted my concern on Reddit, people called me an incel, creep, weirdo, player, etc. So, I asked a former Greek member at my college about my negative experience:

His answer: Greek Life isn't for everyone. Every Greek member reacts differently when it comes to questionable party situations. Drunk people react differently to certain situations as well. Now, I'm not saying that it's your fault, but I wouldn't worry about it anymore. It's also important to be smart, safe, & responsible at parties, especially when you start to feel tipsy.
I am so sorry to hear that you got rejected by a fraternity over some of the things you mentioned (if that truly is what happened). I wanted to share something with you to let you know that not all fraternities work that way! I remember my freshman year of college, one of the fraternities had a pledge that was autistic. They were thrilled to have him, and were very supportive, protective and kind to him. I vividly remember them publicly sticking up for him at a party when several girls were bullying him for being "weird". Ultimately, he stayed in the fraternity all 4 years, served as an officer one year, and was a huge asset to their group (he actually designed several of their shirts for swaps and events and they were absolutely incredible)! He grew so much, especially socially, from his time there (and I honestly think they all did too). They really did do so much to make him feel welcomed and included as a brother. I am not saying they deserve some sort of pat on the back or anything, but i applaud anytime a fraternity sticks to their guns and encompass the true meaning of brotherhood.

As for the comments on drinking, I agree with everyone else. Here is some food for thought regarding the party topic: My brother is a student athlete -- at some of the colleges, while they are in the phase of trying to 'recruit' you for their school, they purposely have organizations throw 'mixer' parties with lots of alcohol to see who can properly conduct themselves and be professional. In fact, recently, one of my bother's friends was banned from a campus that he was asked to come to as a new recruit --because he failed the test. He got severely intoxicated and embarrassed himself. My brother, in comparison, is not a drinker. He took note that all of the upperclassman athletes were not drinking or even so much as holding a cup the whole time. They were just sort of mingling and observing. Turns out, it had been a test all along. They were trying to weed out the people that may have been good athletes, but could have possibly damaged their school image by being immature or not handling themselves well. They wanted to test out their priorities and see what was more important -- partying or playing sports. My brother got a call back to play in the showcase-- his friend got a call back banning him from campus.
While I don't know if this is something the greek orgs might partake in, i found it incredibly interesting and quite frankly, I don't think it was a bad practice.

Last edited by anongreek; 09-11-2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo