View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolebaby View Post
I know some sororities require that the alum personally knows the PNM, so if I were to rush a sorority and they really liked me they would find me an alum to write me one? I'm still a tiny bit confused on that!
Do not depend on that to happen. There will be a huge amount of PNMs-let's say 2000. Now, let's say a quarter of them do not have recs- that's 500. And let's say that all 500 look good on paper. They have great gpas, activities, and volunteer experience, are well put together, have sparkling personalities, and are great conversationalists. It is not feasible for the sororities to call around and get recs for all 500. It would be impractical for them to try to get recs for even 20. What will distinguish a handful of PNMs from the 500 rec-less group when all other things are equal so that a sorority would go to all the trouble to try to find an alum from the PNM's hometown who would write her a rec, when they have to break down that day's party, set up for the next day, hold membership selection, eat dinner, fill out reports/invitation lists for Panhellenic? Not to mention that they have 1500 PNMs who do have recs.