View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Let's go the other way, then...what are his hobbies, and I will try to think of an application :-)
He loves video games (though has made clear to us and to his teacher that he doesn't want to design them; I still wonder, though). He loves to read, he takes walks and runs (but we can't get him interested in track), and he takes karate, which he really enjoys. (It's the only sport-like physical activity we've been able to get him involved in.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
We had to take a semester of calc and a semester of physics for architecture but that was the extent of my college math.
When I was my son's age I wanted to be an architect, and then I realized the math and physics that would be involved. Never liked math and never liked science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
BTW I've sent out an SOS to my SLP friends to see if they have any useful resources for you. If I get any responses, I'll PM you. It may take a few days to hear from people; we're all crazy busy right now.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
You use algebra anytime you try to calculate an unknown based on other info you have.

Ex: Modifying a recipe is an algebraic function.
I think I really must have an inadequate understanding of what differentiates algebra from other forms of math, because I would think of that as basic mathematics. That inadequate understanding on my part is probably not helping me help him.

Quote:
Everyone ahead of me pretty much stated what I was going to say. Apply it to what he likes and see if that changes anything. Good luck. He seems like a very bright boy. Remember that he's no less bright because he is struggling with math (you know that, as a dad but not every parent does.)
Thanks. He is indeed a very bright boy. I think that has actually been part of his algebra problem -- aside from not enjoying math he's not used to things not coming easily, so there's a major frustration factor.

But get him started on things like the North Korean political system or the cult of Hitler, classical history, mythology, comparative politics or comparative religion (yes, he's been known to correct the teacher on things about religions other than ours, and yes the teacher looked it up and said "You're right") or many other topics, and he gets it a lot better than many adults.

Last edited by MysticCat; 11-15-2011 at 04:00 PM.