View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey BlondeGurl-
Try to tell your friend that going through recruitment in the fall does NOT mean she is obligated to join a sorority! Maybe that will take some of the stress off of the decision. It is perfectly understandable that she may want to wait a while before she joins, but she should at least register and go through the process THIS fall, as a freshman, in order to really see what it is all about. She can go through & if it is too intense, she can drop out before she goes to Preference.

Informal/Spring recruitment at A&M is rare as my Aggie sister pointed out, and even still, choices are very limited if informal does occur. Your friend's best opportunity to learn what each of the groups is like and to get a handle on the Greek system at A&M as a whole is to go through formal recruitment. In fact, if she goes through with no expectations, she may be surprised at how clearly she sees things, and may, in fact, change her mind by the end of the week.

My SIL was a Greek at A&M, and I have had many friends who were as well--it's a terrific school (I didn't even go there!) and an even better Greek system. Tell your friend to get on this board if she wants more info--maybe hearing it from folks who have been through it will be a little more convincing!

Good luck to you--and be sure to keep us informed of your own Greek status!