View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Fiction is Fiction. Although some authors of this kind of literature are NPHC members, fictional stories are often exaggerated (sp.?) of course although there is some truth. For example, NPHC orgs don't have a "Rush Week" like orgs in other councils, so there's one fictional element that has been added. I read this novel years ago...really don't remember the details but I think I liked it. Other authors like this one are Kayla Perrin, Dorrie Williams-Wheeler, and there are others. If you want, read these for personal enjoyment but don't rely on them for research. If you are researching the NPHC, these are fictional so they are not what I consider resources.

Try "The Divine Nine" by Lawrence Ross for an overview of all the NPHC orgs and for more scholarly content (which goes a lot deeper and will answer a lot more questions), I highly recommend: "African American Fraternities and Sororities: The Legacy and the Vision" by Tamara L. Brown and others. Also "Black Greek Letter Organizations in the 21st Century: Our Fight Has Just Begun" by Gregory S. Parks and others. This one is the sequel to the previous one mentioned.

There are other books out there as well.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 07-21-2008 at 11:35 AM.