View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Very generally speaking, every organization, regardless of type or council, could stand to do a better job explaining (and demonstrating) the connection between the dues that are paid to an organization and how that travels from an annual budget, to the salaries of the people who provide the centralized services.

To many people who are 18-22, they have not yet been introduced to the ideas of fair compensation (because frankly, their summer jobs--if they had one--likely don't compensate them fairly). They also have not yet been introduced to the idea that you must compensate people well for them to come work for you, either leaving one job in the same city, or to attract people to literally come work for you.

A tangential problem (perhaps related to my point, I don't know yet lol) is that most of our organizations rely on a hybrid of paid professionals and volunteers to enact the mission of the organization.

Think about it:

Collegians pay into a system.
Alumnae volunteer for the system. (and sometimes donate)
Professional staff work for the system.

How can this be a better, sustainable ecosystem? Collegians are revolting (the verb, not the adjective LOL), and it's going to cripple the system if the communication doesn't improve.

I dunno if any of this made sense. If so, yay.