View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post

I don't think it's fair to the multicultural and NPHC groups who had nothing to do with this action-how does telling them they can't host probates or perform community service help them learn from the behavior of a group they aren't associated with?
I agree with this wholeheartedly, as do most Alphas I've seen chatting about this. But there's really nothing we can do. Our orgs haze, but in different ways, and we haven't solved those problems either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post

Does anyone know what the NPC/NPHC/Multi-cultural groups' reactions have been to this (if any)? I wonder if on a national level many are hesitant to speak out until this occurs on a more frequent basis. From what I can tell, most of these recent incidents have happened at NIC fraternity chapters, and I wonder if there will eventually be statements made.

I imagine they're treading lightly not only because we're talking about the death of a student, but also in case anyone points the finger back at them, even for something that occurred in the distant past.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
They're social Greek organizations. Not including them in the suspension would be pretty blatant discrimination.
Yes, we're all general fraternities and sororities, but I don't see anything wrong with a university deciding (or even dictating, really) what kinds of orgs would be subject to a mass suspension.

If Theta Nu Xi, an organization which I have literally NEVER heard of in a hazing scandal anywhere, which probably has less than 15 members, which has programming based on community service and multiculturalism, is caught up in this mass suspension, it's just not an equitable fix.

Nor is it equitable for APhiA, which doesn't have the culture which FSU's suspension is trying to fix. Our intake process isn't on the chapter level anyway.

I dunno, this just seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater at every level.