View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

I know that courts can and routinely do shut down companies which are engaged in criminal behavior, but this seems pretty unique. The organization itself was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, so I imagine this was within the range of punishment allowed by Pennsylvania law. I'd have to do some real legal research to figure this one out and I don't know enough about Pennsylvania law and have no real wish to learn it. It sounds as if the national organization is kind of a joke relying on the "honor system" to stop hazing. If there were no other measures taken to avoid hazing, and from the article, it seems like the fraternity admits its own published ritual involves some force in the crossing ceremony, these guys don't deserve to be in business at all.

Now I know my own organization has chapters which haze, but our national organization and alumni volunteers do really try to stay on top of things. We get frequent visits from HQ consultants, we have tip lines, and risk prevention staff at HQ. I'm sure most quality national organizations have similar things in place. I'm glad this judge is sending a message that the "honor system" is no longer sufficient.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma