View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I'd really let this go. You're in college, so I assume you understand that words have denotations -- dictionary meanings -- and connotations -- what people associate with them. What you personally believe about what constitutes fund-raising is irrelevant to what the vast majority of people consider fund-raising.

Girl Scouts and cheerleaders are not apt comparisons; they are raising money for the group, not for themselves individually. People who support them are supporting the group as a whole. They don't think they're giving money to the individual members. You on the other hand and based on what you have said, are raising money to pay for your own personal obligations, not support the sorority or any other group. It's reasonable to expect that to raise some eyebrows.

Again, if it's what the practice in the sorority is, then that's what it is.
Yes they are. The only reason the money is just for me is because I'm currently the chapter's only official interest. If there were more, it would be for us as a group with the money being split evenly among us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Just because you have a council over you doesn't mean that this activity is legit. The fact that you feel you have to justify this activity with so many definitions makes it look desperate. And there are many ways to prove your organizational/planning skills. This could be accomplished by planning a day of service to a local charity, partnering with a service org on your campus, or hosting a fundraiser and donating the profits to your sorority's philanthropy.
I have to do community service as well. Fundraising is a completely different requirement.

enough not to do something so foolish as hold a public fundraiser with all of the money going into your wallet and then into their coffers. Just out of curiousity, say you raise more than you need. What are you going to do with it?

Anytime I go to a - to use one of your examples - car wash that the cheerleaders are holding to raise money for new uniforms, they are holding big honking signs that say "Benefits Peyton Place High School Cheerleaders." Are you going to have a big sign that says "Benefits HopefulInterest"?[/QUOTE]

I would say what I could, but I can't flat out say that it's for the sorority.