View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Meet & Greet

It's Tuesday night & Meet and Greet! One of the girls in my Pi Chi group asked the Greek Life Coordinator what would happen if a no sorority wanted us. She responded by saying that if we showed up every night and did what we were supposed to do she would make sure we went somewhere. That made me feel a little better. Gaurenteed an org....I can deal with that.

I was thrilled for rush to actually be starting although I was a little upset about having to wear the rush shirts. I had the entire week of outfits picked for a month or so before recruitment, so it messed up my schedule. Either way, I wore the shirt with a pair of blue jeans.

First I went to see Alpha Delta Pi. I was really excited about meeting this chapter. I had seen them around campus and they seemed like really classy ladies and were always really nice. I was a music minor my freshman year and one of thier sisters worked in the music library so I saw her pretty often. But, I didn't really click with these girls. They were all very nice and VERY BEAUTIFUL but, I just didn't click with them. The conversation with these girls didn't flow really well, but they were still a great group of ladies.

Second was Chi Omega. I attended interest parties for this organization the previous semester and was anxious to see them in "full recruitment" action. I loved their chant about a Chi-O being a doctor, a lawyer, a professional woman. The first girl that rushed me and I had a great conversation about her love of broadway and how I had seen Hiarspray the year before on Broadway and had orchestra seats. I remembered the second girl that rushed me from the previous semester. She asked me how everything was going and what I thought of recruitment so far. I told her that I was really excited and having a lot of fun, but I was scared that wouldn't get a bid anywhere. Probably not the best choice, looking back. But, I was a nervous PNM! I had fun with these girls. They were a really diverse group and involved in a lot of other activities.

Third was Phi Mu. The girls seemed really nice overrall, but the girl rushing just nodded her head to everything I said. She didn't seem to know what she was supposed to be doing. I felt like I was having a conversation with a wall. The second girl that rushed me was fun. We talked about why I was interested a in joining a sorority and what other things I had been involved in. Overall, I wasn't sure how I felt about this chapter, but I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Fourth, I visited Alpha Chi Omega. I was excited to meet these girls because I knew they started as a music sorority in 1885 and I was studying music. I also loved their philanthropy, domestic violence. It held a special place in my heart because of some family situations. I had a lot of fun with these girls! They were all so nice and the girl rushing me seemed really impressed that I knew some of Alpha Chi's history. We talked about scrapbooking which is a chapter tradition and I also love scrapbooking, so I loved that aspect of the chapter.

Last, but not least, I visited Sigma Sigma Sigma. I'll admit, I wasn't thrilled about visiting this chapter. At the time I rushed, they were a struggling chapter, far below quota and unpopular with most of the girls in my rush group. The girl that rushed me was super sweet! Her name was Dana and we spent a lot of time talking about the Robbie Paige Foundation and how Tri Sigma was unique in that the Foundation was started by Tri Sigma. I LOVE this philanthropy! I was a patient of play therapy as a young child and still recieved many of my medical serivices at UNC-Chapel Hill. I told her how excited I was to get involved in that and how close it was to my heart. My RA from freshman year was a member of this org and when she saw me, she winked. It put me at ease, for sure. I was starting to really like Tri Sigma, regardless of what the other girls said.

At the end of the night we had to meet with our Pi Chis to rank the groups.

My card read as follows:

Alpha Chi Omega
Chi Omega
Tri Sigma
Alpha Delta Pi
Phi Mu

I walked out, proud of my decision. Of course, my sister had called me 12 times, so I called her back. She couldn't wait to hear how the night went. I think she was more nervous than I was.

Last edited by AlwaysSAI; 06-07-2007 at 11:07 AM.