View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I would like to see a real departure from the two party system. More options. The problem is that while they exist, they don't get enough of a foothold. But I think some of the adjacent parties have merit and would hopefully lead to less bitter divisiveness. I'd also like to see more people voting in an educated manner, for the greater good, as opposed to blindly with their party.
#utopia

Ironically, I think this is what most people want, but we're seemingly still far from that happening.

I remember five to six years ago reading many articles that asked the question, "Congress has such a low approval rating, so why do they keep getting re-elected?" I think at the time their approval rating was 10 to 15 percent. There was a poll done before the elections asking people across all the states whether or not they approved of Congress. The vast majority didn't, but of those people, most said they were planning to vote for the incumbent candidate in their own state.

There's this view that as a whole, everything sucks, "but it can't possibly be because of MY politician!" There are numerous reasons why this mentality may exist; I won't hash them all out here. However, as you said, Griffins&Quills, part of that is due to people being uneducated about the candidates (but who has time to keep up with all of them on a local, state, and national level), and another part is straight up party loyalty.

I actually thought, once I found out that this past presidential election would be Clinton vs Trump, that it would be the time for things to turn on their head. Now, though, I feel like 2018 might actually be our best bet. If nothing changes after the debacle that has been this past year, I'm not sure that anything ever will.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 01-13-2018 at 11:38 PM.