View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelblue View Post
Wow, I never thought this thread would ever get so heated. There's definitely a lot of subtle points involved.

The formal process idea is there so that chapter members have an avenue to introduce PNMs to the rest of the chapter. An awkward situation that a few of my brothers and I have run into is one where a PNM (who we're already friends with) asks about my fraternity in the middle of the semester, and there's really no way to follow up for a few months. Even if we continue socializing with that guy, he's feeling that we're stonewalling him.
It comes from folks confusing sorority rushing with fraternity rushing; they are quite different. There are much more rules and regs on the sorority side, and not so much on the fraternity side.

Do you allow a pledge class in the Fall and one in the Spring? If so, your solution is pretty simple. When someone expresses interest mid semester, let them know when you have pledge classes. If he has interest, then continue to rush him with the idea that he will go into the next class. Hopefully, you aren't locked into pledging once a year.