View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

This embarrassing rush story happened in the fall of 1959 and it involved my mother who at the time was the president of her Delta Gamma chapter. This was the first formal rush for the Gamma Chi chapter which had just been installed in the spring of that year. So needless to say everyone in the chapter was a bit nervous that year.

There was a young lady going through rush whose name was Thelma Thorpe. She was introduced on the first day of rush to my mother and my mom promptly replied "Hello Thorma Thelp it's a pleasure to welcome you to Delta Gamma." After the party, one of her friends pointed out her error and my mom was really embarrassed by her mistake. So she vowed to not repeat the mistake on the second day and diligently practiced "Thelma Thorpe" over and over that evening.

Second day arrives and my mother cheerfully welcomes her back to DG as "Thorma Thelp" AGAIN!!! My mom's best friend is discreetly pinching her to point out her mistake.

Thelma chose to drop Delta Gamma that day and went on to pledge Delta Delta Delta. ;-)