View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

The year I was VP Membership, my computer ate dirt and died two days before rush started. On it were all of the photos that sisters had diligently sent me over the summer so that I could print them out and use them on the Round 1 display boards - which I'd been planning to do the next day. Like the computer illiterate I was, I hadn't thought to make a backup copy of the files. I was about ready to fall to pieces, but several of my sisters went on a madcap raid of the house, collecting the photo albums and boxes of every sister in the house and presenting me with twice as many pictures as I needed to make the boards.

After they saved me from that potential breakdown, I needed to get away for a few minutes, so I drove over to the McDonalds and got fries and a pink lemonade (not my usual fare, but when I get the rare fries-and-pink-lemonade craving, it will not be denied). I left them downstairs in the sorority house to go up and check on the display boards, and when I came down, the fries were still there but the drink was gone - our house manager had assumed someone had left it accidentally and thrown away!

This wouldn't usually have fazed me, but I was so high-strung after my computer's untimely demise and the near-crisis of the display boards, and then to lose my comfort drink on top of it...it was the straw that broke the camel's back. I ended up sitting in the TV room (on the floor, since the furniture had been removed for rush), crying like a baby, much to the dismay of our poor house manager. She found my little sis, who was on her way out on an anniversary date with her boyfriend (who wasn't my biggest fan to begin with), and my little, after seeing what a wreck I was, commandeered his car to go pick me up another pink lemonade despite his protests and their plans - and it was twice as big as my first one!

It's not a big, lifechanging thing, but right then it felt like the end of the world, and those picture-stealing sisters and my little will always hold a special place in my heart for it.