Thread: Rebel Mom
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 07:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choabet View Post
Expect variable quote to be brutal, but it is in the best interest of everyone. It's pretty simple for your daughter RebelMom; she either wants to be part of the greek system and will be happy with a bid (which if she has the grade requirement, got recs and has no problem with reputation she is almost certain to get something) from ANY house or not be part of the greek system. Easier said than done if she is from a big southern city and has come to school with a lot of girls from private high school. A lot easier if she is from way out of state and doesn't have the notion about what is perceived best. Reality: they are all great and she will have a great time. However if she is gunning for something that might be out of reach through no fault of her own, you may be in for a long week.
Spot on. If only ever PNM (at every school) saw it this way. And so agree about the two types of PNMs you described. Still painful for the OOS girl with no connections as I experienced last year with a friend's daughter but because she was a total "sorority novice" she was just happy to get a bid and she loves her house. I sometimes think they have it "easier", if that makes sense, than the girls who come en masse from somewhere like Jackson Prep, even though they have connections. So much pressure to pledge together - I remember two gals (best friends and roommates) who ranked the same house as first choice. One got it (even though she truly wanted her other house but she wanted to pledge with her friend) the other didn't and bid day was a hot mess.

Rebel Mom, good luck to your daughter (and you!).

Last edited by NYCMS; 09-15-2017 at 08:06 AM.