View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok - Everything is washing/drying and or folded/hung up. So here's the rest of my story before we move on to Daughter #1!

My Story…. Part 3

The next fall comes and I’m walking through a campus with red brick sidewalks, under the towering oaks, past old red brick buildings on the way to my first class at the Business School. Floating through campus would probably be a more appropriate description since I was officially on Cloud 9!! This was the University I loved from the first time I opened the glossy brochure years ago. This place was everything I had dreamed of and more. The only dream left to go was made up of Greek letters to (hopefully) be determined when rush started in a couple weeks.

A couple days before rush started there was a meeting for all the girls who wanted to sign up. I got there early since my last class had ended the hour before and I didn’t have time to go back to my apartment between. I was living off campus in an apartment for a couple reasons. One, a girl I had become friends with at the other university was also a junior transferring to the Business School and asked me if I wanted to live with her and another friend. Since she had already spent 2 years in a dorm she wanted more privacy. Two, the university couldn’t guarantee that I’d be matched with another junior and the thought of a freshman roommate was not appealing. I had a brother near that age at home and if the high school girls that came around our house were any indication of that age group…. No thanks! When the auditorium started filling up I soon realized they were all loud, giggly freshman! I’m sure there were sophomores and juniors as well but, as to be expected the attendees were overwhelmingly freshman. I thought, ”It’s okay, the sororities are made up of all 4 age groups not just freshman.” The meeting was brief and afterwards I signed up for rush with much excitement and more than a few nerves. Would I FINALLY have my chance at being Greek???

If you haven’t already figured it out, just when my story seems to take an up swing, there is a down swing in sight! My Mom called me the next day to tell me she’d lost her job. She had already paid my tuition for the fall and I was covering my living expenses, books etc. with the money I had saved and my part-time job, so it wasn’t an immediate crisis. But, she also said finding another job might take a while and I should try and get some extra hours at work in case I had to pay my own tuition next semester. She was devastated to be letting me down (her words not mine) and she had the additional pressure of knowing that my brother would graduate HS that year and be going to college the next fall. I hung up the phone and just sat there knowing that I wouldn’t be going through rush, wouldn’t be joining a sorority and worst of all would always live with thoughts of “what if”.

So, what happened? My Mom found a job and was able to pay for my tuition the next semester. My senior year, I paid all my tuition and expenses so she could to pay for my younger brother’s freshman year. I graduated from Business School and LOVED every minute I spent at the “University of Red Brick Sidewalks and Towering Oaks.” I met my wonderful husband while I was there. It’s now the year 2001 and I’m living in the town I moved to all those years ago and have 3 beautiful daughters, ages 13, 15 and 17.

Spring Break is upon us and Daughter #1 and I head out to tour colleges up and down the east coast........