View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Preference Parties
Earlier in the summer I had made arrangements to be in Alabama on Preference day. My thought was that if things went badly I’d be there to commiserate and if they went really well I’d be there for the excitement since Greek Affairs sent emails inviting all families to Bid Day. So this morning I helped her get ready (mostly being there to say positive comments when asked about jewelry or hair, and running out for coffee.) Then I went to check into my hotel and she went off to her Rho Chi group.
My daughter received the maximum number of invitations to preference parties but was surprised at who the invitations were from: Lavender, Sage and Thyme! She wasn’t unhappy that Rosemary and Marjoram had dropped off, just really surprised. The comments below are in the order that she attended the parties, although we only spoke after the final ranking was done and the form turned in:
Thyme – She said this was the first time she felt that she actually had a real conversation with a sorority woman. They talked about the role of women in society today; they talked about how important the philanthropy is that the house supports and how the issue impacts society as a whole. They also talked about how important their education is to each of them. She felt she could easily be part of this organization.
Sage – When the week began her Rho Chi asked all the PNMs to identify what was most important for them to find in a sorority. My daughter listed “family” first. It happened that the emphasis at this party was on family. She felt she had a very good, honest conversation about core values with the woman she spoke with here. She called this the second real conversation she had all week. When they ended the party with a song from her camp tribal hill meetings, she felt it was a sign that she belonged here.
Lavender – she had a wonderful time during the party, she really felt this was a group that always “has your back”, and that Lavender truly supports the uniqueness of each member. The message she came away with was that the group was stronger because each member was allowed to be their own person.
Later that night she relayed to me that she felt Lavender would support her individual journey through her college years and she would love being a part of this group, but she believed that both Sage and Thyme would help her develop into the woman she was meant to be during these four years. Because she loved each group and would be happy to be in any one of the three it was tough but she decided to rank them:
1) Sage
2) Thyme
3) Lavender