View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Over in my lane, this is not a requirement. I do make myself available for certain events, I will have a beer with actives once a year at formal, but the vast majority of my work is dealing directly with the executive officers. If this was an initiation event, I'd probably show up for the actual ceremony and then leave. If they were doing it a considerable distance from my home, I probably wouldn't go and that would be fine and expected.

I can't speak for all NIC groups, but this is not the requirement with mine. I'm sure I'd be welcome at whatever social event.

That's a decision each chapter has to make. And frankly, I am not sold on the notion that all alumni are always a good thing. If chapters are trying to eliminate bad practices from the chapter's culture, alumni can be a horrible influence. And my members are adults. Some of them have even been to war. They don't need a babysitter.

Occasionally, 18-22 year olds will do stupid things and having people there to hold their hands and protect them isn't necessarily a good thing. If members aren't allowed to make mistakes, how will they learn not to make them? Advisers need to be involved enough to the point where when they sign their risk management affidavits (is that a thing elsewhere?) that they know that what they are signing is true.
True on all points. But it stands to reason that these adults are committing acts that reflect negatively on the fraternity, and Greek Life in general.

I can state the same thing you said about my org - just substitute women for men and sorority for fraternity.

We were having serious problems in my sorority with undergrad behavior. It finally came down a choice of we either corral the undergrads or get sued out of existence.