View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a firm believer in publishing transparent costs ahead of time -- in a PNM guidebook, on the campus Panhellenic website, etc. No one benefits if a new member drops because they can't afford the fees. It's also in everyone's best interest to be fairly close/competitive with costs.

I'm not sure it's all RFM or variable quota -- I think there is a generational issue with seeing fabulous over-done recruitment videos and having fairy tale expectations, and tent talk that's gone beyond the tent to website rankings and vitriol. Those weren't around when I was in school. I agree that instead of everyone finding their niche/peeps, there does seem to be a more widespread idealization of wanting the "popular, top tier group." Because if you're not that, your chapter is ripe for getting scorned online. And PNMs check that out. That's so sad.

My husband is a teacher and I am a professor and we have talked about the general air of "cater to me" that seems commonplace now. One of our international council members is the Dean of Students at Ole Miss; she gave an excellent talk at our March facilities conference about today's student and the need to develop "grit." AGDee heard the same talk at Alpha Gamma Delta's convention this summer.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 10-02-2017 at 01:49 PM.