View Single Post
Old 09-11-2002, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
Lifesaver, do you mind if I ask you a few more questions? I know guys's rush at my school lasts about three weeks ... but it sounds like yours is less than a week. Is that typical?

Also, and this is maybe just different from school to school, but several of our chapters do similar events. Like I know that lots of chapters were going to an Indians game. (But still, no one messes with anyone's signature events!) Do ya'll do anything like that?

Thank you!!!
Ask all the questions you want babydoll.

Technically, ours lasts about that long, but there are some rules that affect what we can do and such.

We USED to really start rush the first week in June. The freshman would come through ortientation, and had the oprion of meeting the student orgs..we'd have a table set up there and talk with freshamn. We'd get a super large amount of PNM contacts. Two years ago the OL (Orientation Life) staff got rid of the event. So wed hang out at the orientation. God we used to be so tight with the staff too, th'd ask us for help with ours or whatever if they were short staffed. They l;iked us there because we could give unbiased opinons of the university and it made the freshman feel better about school, to have upperclassment to chat with and have at lunch, etc. Well that all changed this year...

Lang about mid -june this TROLL of a greek who is some big whig in his chapter (we'll call ABC) who happends to be on orientation staff with 3 of our brothers, and is in tight with the director of greek life (so tight that when she talks he has his hand up her ass making her mouth move). (I also dont know why he is so threatened by us. We recrutit two totally different groups. I seriously cant think of a single member they have EVER had who would be a good fit in our house. So I dont know what he was trying to accomplish with all this stuff) Anyway, he started filing her head whith a bunch of crap, (we were taking freshman off campus, getting the drunk. Not true this year..yeah, about 5 years ago.) etc, so they started sendign letters, etc. Fortunately our chapter advisor is an atty and was able to shoot down all their BULL SHIT mid-management arguments;
1) The freshamn werent students.
A: Yes they are. They get ID's and register. Does any other school let non-students register? The regents rules say they are, and thats like our cosntitution. B. Even if they werent, the school cant keep us from socializing with non-student either. Better come up with soemthing better.

Two weeks later we got another letter:
2)We couldnt be in the student center while orientation was going on.
A. Not a single rule prohibiting that. Anywhere

Finally they hit us with:
3) You must follow any rule or directive given by a faculkty or staff emember, and anyone who does not is in violation of the regents rules. (that is on the books) THe legal version of your moms admonition as a child, "go to your room till you learn to behave." WTF is that crap? Her boss was out of the state the whole tiuem this was going on. Pissed off our advisor to no end. So now he is basically going after her job and demanding a letter of apology.

I guess the GL director is pissed because our brother that was her little bitch graduated and cant be her fu*k buddy anymore. So sad fer her. Anyway, hookah is gonna be pushing a brorom by the time its all done.

(Sorry for that not so brief tangent..needed to vent...feel better.)

So we now start rush at the beginning of school, at move in. We help people move intot the dormas and apts on campus. Great event. Hot as hell - 100 degrees, humid as anything. UGH. then we have a few get togehters , bbqs that weekend, and school starts the next monday. We set up tables oiutside of the biggest lecture hall bldg. We do that for 1-week. The next week, we do that, but also have our main recruitment events. (in the meantime our members are identifying blue-chip PNM's and making visits to them at theior dorms or apts. THen we have our events and follow up.

I couldnt imagine a longer rush whith formal events. I am so sick of rush right now. Glad its over. Our dinner and NMC is Friday night. Cant wait.