View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I was not "picking on Big 6 houses" but bringing forth that for some girls the Big 6 Houses are the only perfect choice just because they are Big 6. I feel confident that sisterhood can be found in the Big 6, but I was bringing attention to all the other houses at UT who the article even failed to mention as if sisterhood at UT was only viable at 1/3 of the houses on campus.

This is a post on a message board about greek life. The Texas Monthly article not only has mass readership, it also had afluent readership and a this article has been a mainstay for tiering UT sororities. This article basically has a cult following. It justifies to many people why they should go to UT recruitment with a very closed mind. It also is why many girls are shocked to find that not all Big 6 houses or any other houses can never achieve perfection. It is not logical, but the article makes them think perfection is behind all that brick and stone and that if they drive a BMW and wear a gold bangle then a bid belongs to them.

srmom.....There is big six right now that is on "social restriction" right now for grades. This restriction keeps them from having mixers and any social activies durning the week so that the girls focus on academics. And as far as slamming goes. It happens. House songs about the "fat" sorority, the "dumb" girls, etc....rude to the point that some pledges feel uncomfortable singing these songs...especially when they target suitemates, roommates and hall mates.

My whole point was never to pit Big 6 against the rest of UT. It was to say that TM, in my opinion, has an obligation to write a new piece on UT greek life that highlights the positive side of all houses and doesn't put 6 houses on a silver platter.

Last edited by Eightisgreat; 09-19-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling