View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Unmarried ladies, a warning: You really DO marry the family as well as the man. No, you don't believe it, but it's true!
Oh, I'm not married yet but I believe it and know it!

My almost in-laws were kind of weird. Ex's father liked to lecture Ex-FH and I on money. This was all well and good except that he a). lacked health insurance because he "didn't need it,", b). had fouled up ex's credit inadvertently because they had the exact same name, and c). had no plans or ability to retire. I knew that if I continued with the marriage plans, that a good chunk of my future earnings would be going to help them out.

Now, I'm not even helping my parents out--they're not wealthy or anything, but they planned for retirement and paid all of their bills--why should I help someone else who wanted to lecture ME on how I spent MY money? Better yet, my parents never lectured me on money.

Guess what? Three years after breaking off the plans, Ex-FH lives in the same Midwestern town as the parents, and he's taking care of them. THAT COULD HAVE BEEN MY LIFE, PEOPLE!