View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
3-I think those rules might vary by sorority. I believe my sorority limits active membership in a collegiate chapter to undergraduates.
4-and the question you didn't ask, if you pledge at your current school, initiate and then transfer and your new school has a chapter of the sorority to which you are now a member, you are NOT automatically granted active status. That is also a possibility but I wouldn't join a sorority with that in mind or you could be in for a world of hurt.
Per the expansion thread, I think U. South Carolina will have a colony of AGD this fall? but that is the only SEC colony I can think of right now.

3- The "full participation by graduate students" rule varies by sorority and also by chapter. Some NPC groups have chapters that will encourage early alum status for members that have not completed an undergrad degree but enroll in, for example, the pharmacy program. Also, in some groups, women are encouraged to take two or three years off after they graduate before volunteering as an advisor at a school in which they were actives.

4-I agree that pledging with the intention of transferring to a bigger school with that some sorority could be disappointing. You would have to be approved by the chapter to which you are transferring to be granted active status. I have seen heated debate over accepting a transfer student into the chapter. These usually revolve around housing concerns and/or someone going from a small school to a big school/big chapter.

Last edited by HQWest; 01-06-2012 at 11:28 AM.