View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to opaldragon
How do you ask for a raise?

Hey y'all. Here's the premise. I've been working at this law firm for four months now. I started off as a runner and did that for about three months, then I took on the position of receptionist. It's not so much that I was promoted as that things just kinda fell into place. Yeah, I got a pay raise. Here's my situation. I'm bilingual, fluent in Spanish. The firm I work for deals with a great deal of Spanish speaking clients. The other receptionist doesn't speak Spanish and defers the Spanish speaking clients, both on the phone and walk-in, to me. I end up dealing with approximately 1.5-2x the amount of clients that she does just due to the language. The other receptionist has worked there for three years now; I don't know how much she makes. I'm sure due to seniority she makes more than I do. Client service-wise, I'm pretty damn good, and that's not being snotty about it, that's just honesty. I mean, when clients tell you you're pleasant to deal with, you kinda take their word for it. Now, how do I approach the lead attorney about a pay raise? And am I being an upstart about asking for a pay raise so soon after getting the position, or does it sound reasonable? Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.