View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

My brother called tonight. He wanted to know the latest on hypo's college admission decisions. My brother graduated from Michigan and is the biggest Michigan fan I know. I told him the expected differences in financial aid packages and how much hypo will be in debt when she graduates from each. My brother, the biggest proponent of Michigan that I've ever known, said he was looking at the Barnard web site and think that the connections she could make there and the opportunities afforded her at Barnard can't be matched by Michigan. I was floored to hear him say that.

I spoke to a sorority sister who went to undergrad in Texas, grad school at Michigan (and worked there too), finished her master's in Florida and is now working on her PhD at Oregon (and working there). Her dean went to Barnard for undergrad and was telling her that the networking opportunities there are incredible. Other students there will know important people (senators children, etc.) that could also be very helpful to hypo in the future, not to mention the internship possibilities that hypo would have in comparison to what is available here. One of hypo's concerns was that the girls there might be snobby toward her because she will be a "poor kid" compared to many of them. My sister said that her dean said that in her experience, the students there don't tend to be snobby regarding social stature, but are intellectually snobby. I told hypo that and she said "So they're like me?" and laughed. She gets very frustrated with students in her high school who don't know about world events, don't care about learning, etc. Her main goal is to be with people who are passionate for learning, just for the sake of learning.

And, my father, who I thought would say go with the lesser expensive option, was also in favor of Barnard over Michigan for similar reasons. Opportunities, connections, etc.
She has this fantasy that it will come in requiring no loans. I don't think that's going to happen.