View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeta View Post
One of my pledge brothers came out after graduation. It's changed absolutely nothing - except perhaps that's he probably more fun to be around now simply because he's happier in general. One of my little brother's roommates (from freshman year) came out to his pledge class during Initiation week, and if anything, they're pledge class became more closely-knit because of it while they hid it from the upper classmen. Now he's openly gay, and very few people have a problem with it.

It should be noted that neither of these guys acts stereotypically gay (even though it really wasn't a surprise when my pledge brother came out - he was one of those guys that could have gone either way and no one would have batted an eye). They're not effeminate, they don't have a lisp, and while they may dress slightly better than everyone else, they're still in line with the mainstream fashion as you'd find it in Nebraska.

Would my chapter rush a stereotypical gay guy? With one openly gay brother in the active chapter - probably more likely than it was before, but I have to agree that how a person "fits in" matters as someone said before, and I don't see many stereotypical gay guys fitting in well enough to get a bid. But if they did, I don't think it would be an issue.

Finally to say that homosexuals can't have the same interests and goals as heterosexuals is RIDICULOUSLY ignorant.
Not only did two of my Brothers come out after graduation (and both prior to and after-wards were part of the Chapter), a third had a sex change operation.

And IIRC the studies and reports correctly, something like between 3-10% of all people are gay. Something to think about next time you are in a room, bar, club et al with 99 other people.