View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I have figured it out. I think . . .

I'll make a thread to discuss this later but I thought I would quickly chime in.

In the schools with really "competitive" Rush, Formal Rush is designed to give quota to the majority of houses based almost exclusively on incoming freshmen that are begging to join. They don't have to recruit anyone.

An automatic population if you will.

The local PC knows approximately how many girls are coming through formal every year. In order to ensure that most houses get quota without having to COB, quota has to be designed around a smaller number than actually comes out.

Which is why its necessary to devise a system that has heavy cutting. IF quota matched the initial numbers that signed up for rush, the most popular houses would still get quota, but more of the bottom and middle tier would have to COB.

So it "appears" fairer for the more popular houses to really have to cut, because it reduces overall numbers in such a way that quota is more attainable for the less popular chapters.

Which is a bit of a mental hallucination, because if quota was higher more PNMs might actually end up placed in the top houses they wanted (the ones that cut them because they had to), but it would look like there was a greater discrepancy in the less popular houses.

For example, the less popular house gets 50 when quota is 60, or gets 50 when quota is 70.

Thats operating uner the assumption that a decent amount of girls that get cut from top houses refuse to pledge bottom tier ones. And since i know people that have done that, I believe its true.

So if I am correct, the system loses the girls that the top or middle tier would have liked to take if they could, but refuse to pledge bottom tier houses.

Is that a problem? And is there a solution? I think its a good discussion point.