View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Actually, I took a little time to research "academic costumes." Bottom line: not likely appropriate to wear the sorority stole with the masters' level costume.
Quote:
"Remember though, you'll be wearing a master's hood with a master's gown and that hood is a bit longer than the bachelor's hood (if you wore one at all) - stoles tend to look a little unusual when coupled with a hood."

This. It is my personal opinion that wearing non-academic items with ones postgraduate academic regalia would look odd. The master's hood is supposed to be a key feature of the regalia, especially if your program has a "hooding" ceremony. I would think that a master's hood and a stole don't really go together. The hood drapes down the back quite prominently and then you'd having a draping sorority stole going the opposite direction down the front. And, honestly, you're receiving a higher academic award - if it were me, I wouldn't want to look childish.

I get it. You're proud of the sorority and didn't get to wear a GLO stole when you walked as an undergrad. You're not an undergrad anymore. This is the price that we have to pay as AIs. The experience will never be the same.

True and Constant